Drive Traffic To Your Website With Social Media! Here Are The Social Media Platforms I Use & The Traffic They Derive! (#64)
Drive Traffic to Your Website With Social Media: Platforms I Use
Promoting your own content is just as important as writing it — a great article does you little good if no one finds it. Here's a look at the social media platforms I use to drive traffic back to this blog, and how I approach each one.
The Platforms
- Quora
- Medium
Quora
I answer questions directly related to topics I've already written about, giving a genuine, useful answer and linking back to the full article for anyone who wants to go deeper. I also maintain a Quora Space for my content specifically.
Answering questions here takes more effort than the other platforms, since it's genuinely interactive — people can respond, push back, or ask follow-ups. But that same interactivity is part of what makes it worthwhile: it forces you to actually explain things clearly rather than just dropping a link.
I share links to relevant articles in appropriate communities. This one took me the longest to get comfortable with — Reddit communities tend to be more particular about self-promotion, so it's worth understanding a subreddit's norms before posting rather than just dropping links everywhere.
Medium
I post shortened versions of my articles, with a link back to the full piece on my own site for readers who want the complete version.
Similar approach to Medium — shorter versions of articles, positioned for a slightly more professional audience.
I create Pins linking back to relevant articles. This is one I've used for a while, though consistency made a real difference — sporadic posting didn't move the needle nearly as much as showing up regularly did.
How I Approached Getting Started
I didn't try to run all five platforms at once from day one — that's a recipe for burning out or doing all of them poorly. Instead, I started with the two platforms I was already most comfortable with (Pinterest and LinkedIn), got a rhythm going, then gradually added Quora Space, and finally Medium and Reddit — the two that took the most adjustment to get used to.
My honest takeaway: consistency across a smaller number of platforms tends to outperform sporadic effort spread across many. It's better to genuinely show up regularly on 2–3 platforms than to half-heartedly post on all five.
→ Related: What Is Digital Marketing? What's the Hype About?(#63) — for more on the broader concepts behind platforms, targeting, and driving traffic.
If you're running your own blog or business and figuring out which platforms to focus on, I'd genuinely recommend starting with whichever ones you're already most comfortable using, and building consistency there before spreading yourself thin across everything at once. Thanks for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment